First the good news. Harriet is doing so well, eating a little better, going outside with only one accident in the last 36 hours. She's getting along with the cats. She loves everyone who walks in the door. She's sweet and gives kisses and wants nothing more than to be loved. She seems to be responding well to the heartworm treatment, and is not exhibiting any side effects.
The bad news: We can't adopt her.
Ray and I found out today what it meant when they told us she was scheduled to go to rescue after September 26th. The rescue has fronted the money for her treatment, and so essentially they have already adopted her. So it looks like September 25th will be our last day with her.
Initially, the news hit me like a punch to the throat. I tried not to burst into tears right in the THHS lobby. Good thing Ray was with me, otherwise, I probably would have. But I've had a couple hours to adjust to the news, and my heart is still broken, I just like with Jimmy, I realize that this is part of the mission, and the mission is the important thing right now. She will be going to a GOOD, safe place, and that's the goal of fostering--to help dogs get to the place that is right for them. And so, I will try to look at this as a success on September 25th. But ask me again on the 26th.

No comments:
Post a Comment