Sunday, July 10, 2011

New guest

Friday, we picked up our new guest--Jimmy H. He's a 10 week old Beagle/Chihuahua mix puppy, already neutered, micro chipped, and one round of shots to go. He's good on a least for his age, nearly housebroken, getting crate trained, likes cats, dogs, people. He's a great dog for someone with kids for sure. High energy.

It was hard for me to take another dog in after what happened with Sheba, but I knew that if I didn't take another one in short order that I would probably quit. And I thought of all those dogs at the shelter, the depressed looks on their faces, and I knew that I had to continue to try to help as much as possible. And this should be an easy case. Someone will snap this guy up. People love puppies, and I think he'd be perfect with kids. He's not going to be very big, and he's so well-socialized, people will be reassured that he has been handled by people since birth, not abused. There's not surprises behaviorally. Which is a good selling-point for him, but it's what makes the older dogs tough to find homes for. I've heard people say they don't want adult dogs because they don't want to deal with "someone else's mistakes." How freaking sad. It may be true that you'll have to deal with underlying fears from abuse or neglect, but for me, I think someone owes those dog most of all a second chance at a loving home.

After this one goes to a home, we may take a break until the first of August, since we have a bunch of events the rest of the month. And I think I'll need the time to catch up on sleep. Puppies are work! It's been 13 years since I had one in the house. I've forgotten. Next time, we're thinking an old dog. They sleep through the night. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment